36 Main St, Roslyn, NY, 11576

Projects

Show by Village

Show by Original Use

Harriet Terry owned a subdivision behind her residence of approximately 27 lots along Church...

This house was part of the Harriet Terry subdivision of land that composed numerous lots purchased...

The property on which this house has been built has a complex and not yet fully understood early...

The original 1787 Mill at the site was built by Richard Kirk as a water-powered fulling mill which...

Best known at the home of the prominent 19th century poet and newspaper editor, William Cullen...

Clifton, a Flemish Revival cottage with Gothic Revival detailing designed by New York City...

The tract where Montrose stands, overlooking Hempstead Harbor,was part of the 100-acre farm of...

The first European settlement in the Roslyn Harbor area occurred when a small group of English...

Like its neighbor, the Stephen and Charles Smith House, Springbank rests on property that was...

When Stephen and Marinda Smith acquired this property in 1850, the eastern side of Hempstead Harbor...

A house on this site was built before 1859 as a tenant house on the 74-acre property of John R....

There was no Presbyterian congregation in Roslyn until 1849, when at the instigation of Mrs. James...

Both the Walling Map (1859) and the Beers-Comstock Map (1873) show a house on the site of the...

The origins of the "A. Nostrand house", originally sited on the west side of the Roslyn-Montrose,...

By 1875 William Cullen Bryant had accumulated approximately 165 acres for his Cedarmere estate, a...

It is Francis Skillman's narrative that identifies this 18th century house as the house of John...

The history of this mid 18th century house is not a clear one. Francis Skillman, whose...

The Jacob Sutton Mott House was relocated from 800 Mott's Cove Road, North, to its present site in...

The James K. Davis house appears on neither the Walling (1859) nor the Beers-Comstoek (1873) maps...

By around 1920 the increasing Roslyn Presbyterian congregation began to outgrow the small building...

The land on which the Smith, Valentine, Wood House was built was carved out of a parcel of property...

Samuel Dugan, Jr. was born in Belfast, Northern Ireland, September 4, 1849. He died in Roslyn,...

On August 17th, 1843, John and Sarah Craft purchased a five-acre lot for this house from Elizabeth...

According to an oral history taken in 1972, the Villagers of Roslyn built this house for a recently...

This interesting five-bay clapboard house is a new arrival in Roslyn. It is a reassembled farmhouse...

The original section (north wing) of this fascinating house was constructed in the 1880s for...

Francis Skillman, in his letter to the Roslyn News in 1895, wrote: "The next place south of Wilson...

On the map of Roslyn in the 1873 Beers, Comstock & Cline Atlas of Long Island, a tiny structure can...

Mackay Estate Dairyman's Cottage was designed in 1902 by architects Warren and Wetmore in an...

This simplified Queen Anne Revival house is believed to have been built by Thomas P. Howard shortly...

The construction of the John F. Remsen House, in the Queen Anne Colonial Revival style, began in...

•The Mackay Estate Gate Lodge is architecturally significant as a representative example of a...

The part of Roslyn Village bounded by West Shore Road, Old Northern Boulevard, Mott Avenue and the...

The house at #17 Hicks Street started life as a barn built about 1870. Its title chain was hard to...

The house at 9 Layton Street was moved to its present site along with others in the neighborhood...

Among the largest estates ever amassed on Long Island was the enormous Renaissance –style mansion...

The Lincoln Building (circa 1926). Courtesy of Walt Gosden.

William M. Valentine was one of the most important Roslyn merchants in the 1800s. He built this row...

In 1835, John Willis, who operated a grist mill in Hempstead Harbor (now Roslyn) and (according to...

The oldest section of the house was built around 1835 for George Allen, who lived next door. Listed...

In 1863 William M. Valentine sold Henry Eastman a lot, immediately to the north of his house lot,...

John Remsen owned a large livery business in Roslyn consisting of 28 horses and more than 40...

The John Mott House is indicated on the Walling Map (1859) as belonging to "J.M.MottT and on the...

Henry W. Eastman was born in 1826 and started his law practice in Roslyn in 1847. To supplement the...

Number 72 Main Street is the very last gasp of the Vaux fundamental design to have been built in...

With the exception of William Cullen Bryant, Henry Eastman was the most influential Roslyn...

At the General Meeting of the Town of North Hempstead in April, 1679, a "hundred akers" of land on...

Very early in the 19th century William Valentine (1781-1863), a papermaker, bought the original...

The Henry Clay Thorne House was exhibited on the Landmark Society's tours for 1961 and 1962, at...

Comprehensive information about this home can be found in our Annual Tour Guides including the...

Built for Captain James Smith, commanding officer of Flower Hill’s militia in the War of 1812.He...

There is no real record of when the Roslyn Academy was established. Simon Douglas Replogle,...

The Hendrickson-Ely-Brower House is shown on both the Walling (1859) and Beers-Comstock (1873) Maps...

The Old Presbyterian parsonage is one of the best documented houses in Roslyn.The Roslyn News for...

The son of barrel and cask maker Wilson Williams, John Williams was a builder.Like many of the...

Master carpenter John S. Wood built this house for himself. He was married to Sarah Wilkey, sister...

The Samuel Dugan I house may be the earliest building in Roslyn exhibiting Italianate details...

Between 1773 and 1775, Wilson Williams, a cooper by trade, constructed the earliest part of this...

This building served as the parsonage for the Methodist church for Hempstead Harbor, which was...

The James Sexton House (Circa 1849) and the Smith-Hegeman House (Circa 1840) were moved to their...

The exact date of the Warren S. Wilkey house is a mystery although there are indications it was...

The original Wilkey house stable was located across the road and slightly to the north and no...

The Smith-Hegeman house and the James Sexton House were moved to the present Main Street locations...

The early history of the site of the Jacob Kirby Tenant House is described in the chapter on the...

Architectural evidence indicates that this house was constructed around 1680. The earliest written...

Photography and information regarding the Kirby Office is forthcoming.

From 1870 to 1971, this workman’s cottage built by Captain Kirby was attached to the Van...

It is the smaller parcel of land, north of East Broadway and its Main Street intersection, with...

Built for John Mackay III, grandson of John Mackay, one of the discoverers of the Comstock silver...

The bungalow style house located at 69 Mott Avenue was in a seriously deteriorated condition when...

This diminutive bungalow was built on land formerly owned by Elisa West. It appears that when the...

Historic postcards reveal that this charming Carpenter Gothic cottage was one of a number of...

The Townsend Cemetery is the burying ground for 33 of the early English Quaker settlers to the...

Founded around 1860, this burial ground was a result of the Rural Cemetery Act, which sought to...

On April 18, 1906, Katherine Duer Mackay, wife of industrialist and art collector, Clarence Mackay,...

Considered one of the most unusual examples of garden architecture in America, the Milliken-Bevin...

In 1862 William Cullen Bryant commissioned a design from the artist and architect Frederick S....

During the second quarter of the 19th century the Flushing-North Hempstead Toll Road Company was...

The Beers-Comstock Map (1859) shows six houses located on the north side of Northern Boulevard east...

Armenia Carhart purchased a piece of vacant land from John and Rachel Tatterson, local Roslyn...

It is believed that the house at 1100 Old Northern Boulevard was built by Daniel Noon in 1830 and...

It is difficult to date the Mott-Gallagher House on the basis of its title chain. Structurally,...

The lot on which this house is situated was created in June of 1872 when Frederick M. Eastman and...

That part of Roslyn Village bounded by West Shore Road, Old Northern Boulevard, Mott Avenue and the...

Built by Jean Pine in 1740.Dutch-speaking Hendrick Onderdonk was the largest property owner in...

This two-story, frame building with Colonial Revival style detailing was built as a store the Hicks...

The Roslyn Grist Mill is a rare surviving Dutch-framed watermill built between 1715 and 1741...

In the late 1800s, this building was a very active general store owned by Joshua T. Hicks who lived...

This building was used in the late 1800s and early 1900s as the offices of Conklin-Tubby-Conklin...

This historic commercial building was built in 1932. It replaced a 1906 bank building that housed...

In an 1851 letter, in which he describes his boyhood in Hempstead Harbor (now Roslyn), the Right...

The harness shop of John F. Remsen was located here in the late 1880s. The building became Fern's...

The Roslyn National Bank and Trust Company was originally call the Bank of Hempstead Harbor...

Willet Titus was born in 1827 and lived until 1911. In 1858 he married Phebe Witson who was born in...

John Remson built the Hewlett & Remsen Garage in the early 1900s.John Remsen also owned a large...

Although the department was established on November 1, 1852, this Colonial Revival style firehouse...

This was the station house for the Sixth Precinct of the Nassau County Police. The building was...

This building housed A.E. Pickard's drugstore (left) and the Roslyn Post Office (right). A horse...

The three ponds of Roslyn have been a historic feature of the village and town for over 300 years....

At time of the American Revolution, Hugh Gaines made white sheets to print his Tory paper New-York...

VALENTINE HOUSE (Courtesy of the Bryant Library) 1800: Built between 1795-1810. Possibly built by...

ROSLYN WAR MEMORIAL BUILDING (Courtesy of the Bryant Library)June 1919: Roslyn Neighborhood...

For many years it was thought that Samuel Adams Warner, a prominent architect who practiced at 132...

The Harbor Hill Water Tower is sited atop a hill on an open area just west of Redwood Drive, in...

The handsome Colonial Revival building known as "Woodbury Cottage" was built in 1903 by John F....

The Walling Map of 1859 shows the land at the northwest corner of Lincoln Avenue and what is now...

History of property: "Roslyn Court," now Sinclair Martin Drive, was developed in 1938, and...

The first Roslyn Railroad Station, a simple wooden structure, was built in 1864 to provide service...

The Ellen E Ward Clock Tower was commissioned by her children and dedicated to her memory in 1895....

In 1864 Roslyn’s Union Free School was organized, and four years later, like most otherschool...

This house was built by George W. Denton in 1875. It is not shown on the Beers-Comstock Map, which...

The structure at #7 West Shore Road originally was built to serve as a carriage house for the...